Engineering Manager, Data Infrastructure
What are you looking for in your next company? An open, friendly culture? Smart application of an excellent tech stack? Real diversity? Rock-solid products? If these matter to you, we have some great things to talk about!
Hearsay Systems is looking for a talented Engineering Manager, Data Infrastructure to join our growing Budapest engineering team!
As a hands-on leader, the ability to manage your team to high performance standards will be critical, as will your ability to understand and collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders. You should have previous experience leading small teams, including managing the software delivery process end-to-end, coaching individual engineers of differing experience levels, and setting and achieving goals for yourself and your team. As a data-focused role, an interest in data and analytical technology is highly encouraged. Previous analytics experience is appreciated, but not required. This role will require robust back-end engineering and DevOps experience.
If you have this unique skillset and this sounds intriguing to you, then read on and apply!
Who is Hearsay?
Hearsay Systems leads the field in offering sophisticated client engagement products to companies within the financial services vertical. Founded in 2009 and helmed by Clara Shih, we are a tightly knit and dedicated group that passionately believes in our products, our people, and our culture. Our products engage customers across Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram, and connect beautifully to Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, and other CRM systems.
Hearsay is used by more than 150,000 financial advisors and insurance agents. Our platform is used by many of the largest financial services and insurance companies in the world. We enable them to get a real-time pulse of field conversations and to trigger more effective targeted advisor-client outreach with AI-optimized calls, text messages, email follow-ups, and social media interactions.
Our Budapest team is critical to the whole firm. As a very dynamically expanding office with a great growth trajectory our sister offices in San Francisco, Manila, New York, and Seattle rely on us for software development, sales engineering, and data analysis.
About the role:
- As the engineering manager for our Data Infrastructure team, you’ll lead our data infrastructure team to build, maintain and operate flexible, resilient, efficient infrastructure to enable yourself and others to build data analyses, warehouses, and real-time data interaction products.
- You will have a large opportunity to make an impact and will initially report directly to Hearsay’s CTO.
- Data infrastructure is a fairly new area at Hearsay, and data / analytics is one of our top priorities for the next several years.
- You will manage our current small data infrastructure team which is spread across Budapest and San Francisco. You can expect to be able to hire several more engineers over the next year.
- You will be responsible for the maintenance and operation of an AWS-based data pipeline and file and SQL-based data lakes handling over 10 billion rows across hundreds of tables.
- As the leader of a platform team, you will need to solve problems that are wide-ranging in origin. You will partner closely with our analytics product management team to decide on what our ultimate product will look like, but ultimately you will be responsible for directing your team to make optimal tradeoffs across new development, iterative improvement and immediate operational requirements.
- You will need to collaborate with technical personnel and other stakeholders in Europe, North America and Asia, including with customer-facing teams and Hearsay executives, many of whom will not be immediately familiar with analytics or data platforms. Being able to understand their needs and communicate your priorities, plans and current status will be essential.
- You should have experience building and maintaining applications and/or platforms that were delivered over the web, ideally using cloud IaaS platforms like AWS, Azure or GCP.
- We'd love to see a strong foundation with at least one reasonably modern applications language, ideally Python but Ruby, Kotlin, modern Java, C# and Go are all also acceptable.
- Very strong SQL skills. Ideally you will have experience with analytical SQL and data warehousing concepts, but at minimum, a strong knowledge of standard transactional SQL will be required.
- Demonstrated track record of learning new concepts and tools. Both at Hearsay and in the industry as a whole, the tools and techniques for data and analytics are rapidly changing. We don’t expect you to be on the bleeding edge, but you should be able to show that you have learned new-to-you technology on the job and put it into practice.
- User empathy: Although you will be responsible for a very technical area, the most important thing about it is that it allows users to gain the understanding they need.
- An analytical temperament.
- Very strong written and verbal business English.
Nice to have:
- cloud data warehouses like Snowflake or AWS Redshift
- batch and stream or event processing technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- operational concepts for analytics teams (normalization/denormalization, dimensional models, slowly changing dimensions, historization, fact granularity, etc.)
- infrastructure and application security topics
What we’re expecting you to achieve once hired:
- Drive improvements in data warehouse refresh rate to get as close to continuously-updated analytical data as possible.
- Improve cost efficiency by consolidating infrastructure and optimizing data pipelines.
- Actively monitor and improve data integrity / data quality in consultation with data stakeholders such as analysts, customer success managers and application engineers.
- Drive improvements to the way reporting & analytics are integrated into our application (today this is via Looker.)
- Collaborate with application engineering leaders to build more richly data-powered product experiences, showcasing product value to the customer and delivering infrastructure that engineers truly find joyful to build on.
- Collaborate with the site reliability engineering team to build secure, reliable, performant and efficient infrastructure that just works.
We offer you:
- Central location with fantastic colleagues
- Competitive salary with benefits
- Mobile phone coverage
- Private health insurance
- On-site food and beverages, including lunch