Site Reliability Engineering Manager
Hearsay is looking to hire an ambitious yet pragmatic Site Reliability Engineering Manager to lead Hearsay’s global Site Reliability team.
The Hearsay Platform is the pre-eminent omni-channel digital engagement center for the financial services advisor. It tethers the most effective marketing, acquisition and servicing channels in one ecosystem which enables the advisor to focus on the most important part of their job - building and servicing relationships - without the friction of switching between systems or the fear of compliance backlash.
As our Site Reliability Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of engineers across North America and Europe to build platforms and tools enabling us to deliver reliable, performant and secure software at speed, and work with our larger Engineering organization to use them to best effect.
At Hearsay we are true believers in the power of having developers be capable of, accountable for and enthusiastic about owning services from development through production, delivering value in small increments that add up to a big deal. Doing this at scale is easier said than done and will require hands on work to iteratively improve the performance of our people, processes and technology.
About Hearsay Systems:
Founded in 2009 by Clara Shih and Steve Garrity, and helmed by CEO Mike Boese, Hearsay Systems leads the field in offering sophisticated client engagement products to companies within the financial services vertical. We are a tightly knit and dedicated group that passionately believes in our products, our people, and our culture. Our products engage customers across Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram, email, text, and voice. And every product syncs beautifully to Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, and other CRM systems.
Hearsay is used by more than 170,000 financial advisors and insurance agents. Our clients include Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan Chase, Prudential, New York Life and Allstate. We enable them to get a real-time pulse of field conversations and to trigger more effective targeted advisor-client outreach with AI-optimized calls, text messages, email follow-ups, and social media interactions.
About the role:
- Manage our distributed, largely remote SRE team across North America and (in the near future) Budapest, Hungary, to effectively achieve team goals while fostering an environment of continuous learning
- Collaborate with Engineering and other stakeholders to collaboratively develop and devise monitoring strategies, Service Level Objectives and other non-functional measures of engineering performance
- Act as the architectural owner for our cloud environments from a cost, security and resilience perspective
- Encourage experimentation and risk-taking while controlling risk for the business
- Directly or indirectly coach individual engineers and engineering organizations on how to build efficient, reliable and secure software
- Using insights gathered from those interactions, lead the SRE team to build, adopt and/or improve tools to accelerate our velocity while minimizing risk, such as deployment orchestration, service building blocks like service registries or secrets management, and monitoring platforms
- 4+ years managing and being responsible for the outcomes of a team of Site Reliability or back-end-oriented Software Engineers
- Strong hands-on software engineering background -- this role will require programming and mentoring people who are developing production-quality systems
- Extensive experience with modern operations tools and concepts such as configuration management, immutable infrastructure, and continuous deployment
- Have played a leading role in developing and implementing SLOs, on-call rotations and other systems of accountability for development teams, making appropriate trade-offs between principle and pragmatism in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong opinions about what successful architecture and operational practices look like in a cloud or microservices environment