Life Lessons Scholarship program eases the financial burden of college when a parent or guardian dies without life insurance. Deadline to apply is: March 3, 2015 at 4pm EST. It’s not too late!
Losing a parent or guardian is hard enough—the emotional strain and sense of loss can be devastating to a child or young adult—but losing a parent or guardian who has little or no life insurance can be even more emotionally and financially devastating for many families just trying to make ends meet.
When Shane LeBarge lost his father during his first month of college, his family wasn’t prepared for the emotional and financial toll that this would cause. Still coping with his own grief, Shane stumbled upon an organization that would eventually change his life for the better.
The organization, Life Happens, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating Americans about the importance of life insurance. Through its annual Life Lessons Scholarship Program, now in its 11th year, the organization will award over $200,000 in scholarship, ranging from $5,000 to $15,000, to college students who are experiencing hardship after the death of a parent or legal guardian who did not have life insurance.
To be considered, applicants will need to submit a 500-word essay or 3-minute video that describes how their lives have been affected, both emotionally and financially, by the death of a parent or guardian.
Shane’s advice to other families who are unsure about needing life insurance:
“We were just like you. This happens to people like you everyday, just as it did for us. You don’t want your family to have to live with the consequences of not getting life insurance.”
After overcoming his fears, Shane took the step to apply for a Life Lessons Scholarship and was awarded the grand prize scholarship for his essay that described his father as a “baby-boomer who loved music.”
Below is important information about the program:
- 3 Grand Prize Winners to receive $15,000 scholarships
- 10 First Runners-Up to receive $8,000 scholarships
- 11 Second Runners-Up to receive $5,000 scholarships
- 2 Sponsored scholarship recipients to receive $10,000
- 2 Sponsored scholarship recipients to receive $12,500
- The application for the Life Lessons Scholarship must be submitted in full on March 3, 2015 at 4pm Eastern.
- Potential winners will be selected around June 2015 and will be notified by telephone and/or email.
- Open to college students and college-bound high school seniors (between ages 17 – 24) who have experienced the death of a parent or legal guardian.
- For complete program rules, please click here.
- Fill out the Life Lessons Scholarship Application on the application page.
- Write a 500-word essay or record a 3-minute video.
For more information, read more of Shane LaBarge’s compelling story: I Saw I Could Save Families From What Happened to Mine, and watch past scholarship recipients here.
For questions about the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (202) 464-5000 x4446.
Hearsay Social is a proud partner of Life Happens, Inc. and is happy to support the Life Lessons Scholarship Program for deserving families who have lost a parent or guardian without life insurance.